In the world:
- Every 3.5 seconds someone dies of hunger.
- Every 11 seconds someone dies of AIDS.
- Every 15 seconds a child dies from a waterborne illness.
- 40 million people are living with HIV/AIDS.
- 1 billion have no access to clean water.
- 2.6 billion live without basic sanitation.
- 5 million live in refugee camps.
- 1.08 billion live on $1 or less per day.
- 11 million children die before they reach their 5th birthday. That's as if every child under five living in the United Kingdom, France, and Germany were to die in a single year.
- Enough food is produced to feed everyone.
Every year more than 16 million people - the equivalent of one hundred 747 jets crashing every day of the year - die from:
- Hunger 9,125,000
- HIV/AIDS 2,900,000
- Pneumonia 2,000,000
- Diarrhea 1,600,000
- Malaria 1,000,000